How to Detox Safely & Naturally
Body detoxification is both a short-term and long-term process.
IN THE SHORT TERM, we periodically implement a healthy detox diet or juice fast to help flush toxins that have accumulated in the body.
IN THE LONG TERM, we make changes in our daily habits and lifestyle. Gradually take on good habits, such as
- cut down on coffee
- get more exercise
- do deep breathing exercises in the morning
- eat more vegetables and fresh fruit
3 Essential Components of a Body Detox Cleanse
There are many healthy ways to detox your body. All of them should include these three essential components:
1. Give your digestive system a break.
Some of the toxins our body needs to detox come from the by-products of our digestive process. Indigestion from overeating or a gastro-intestinal condition can cause purification and an overabundance of toxic waste in our instestines, colon, kidneys, liver, skin, and blood.
2. Encourage elimination.
The kidneys, colon, lungs, and skin are organs primarily involved with elimination. Each of these organ systems can be gently stimulated and supported before, during and after a body detox program in the following ways:
- Kidneys: drink pure water, 3 – 4 quarts a day. If you're urinating every hour, you know you're hydrating and getting a gentle kidney cleanse.
- LIver: drink the juice of 1/2 lemon in hot water every morning upon rising.
- Colon: get your bowels moving at least a little every day. A colonic or water enema can help get you started. If you need to take an herbal laxative, we suggest cascara sagrada, Five Seed Teapills, Ma Zi Ren Teapills, Peach Kernel Teapills, or Rhubarb Teapills. Do not take senna or over the counter laxatives. Ever!
- Lungs: cleanse your lungs with deep breathing exercises, morning and night. Protect your lungs from toxic fumes or cleaning products by wearing a protective mask.
- Skin: bathe daily, refrain from heavy lotions and dry brush your skin regularly.
3. Detox your diet.
Fast food, junk food, sugary drinks and snacks, artificially sweetened, processed foods, fried foods and refined flours have to go (or be greatly reduced). Nourish your body with fresh fruits and vegetables and high quality superfoods like spirulina and chlorella. Making these dietary changes and sustaining them over time will reduce future need of detox cleansing and add years to your life!